Skip to Navigation

Russell Library

The Russell Library houses the historical collections of St Patrick’s College, Maynooth which was founded in 1795 as a seminary for the education of Irish priests. The reading room was designed by renowned British architect and designer Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-1852) and completed in the year 1861. The Russell Library contains approximately 34,000 printed works dating from the 16th to the mid-19th century across a range of subjects including: theology, mathematics, science, geography and history. Other important collections include: medieval and Gaelic manuscripts, archival material and incunabula (pre-1501 printing).

Admission
Material at the Russell Library can be consulted by making an appointment by telephone on 01-708389001-7083890  or by e-mail

Opening hours
Click to view Russell Library opening hours 

Contact us
Phone 01-708389001-7083890 
e-mail library.russell@nuim.ie or enquire at the John Paul II Library
Exhibitions can be viewed on a drop-in basis during Russell Library opening hours.

Location
The Library is located on the south campus
, in St Mary’s quadrangle
 

Follow us
 Read the Russell Library Blog